Helpful Resources on Food and Marketing
Explore factors that can affect the success of your solution.
Understanding Food Waste:
- What’s the problem? This video will help you learn more about the food waste problem. Food Wastage Footprint
- Why waste food? Read this article to learn about the reasons so much food is wasted in the United States: Why Americans Lead the World in Food Waste
- What is “ugly” food? We waste a lot of food that is safe to eat because it’s “ugly.” Below are several examples of ugly fruits and vegetables.
Marketing Ugly Foods: Use these resources to learn how some companies are marketing ugly foods to reduce food waste.
- Ugly fruits and vegetables: why you have to learn to love them
- Why People Are Falling in Love With “Ugly Food”
- Ugly Food Is Good for You – and the Environment
Using Sliding Price Scales: Use these resources to learn how companies, like farms, grocery stores, and restaurants, are using sliding price scales to tackle food waste. Be careful; these examples use sliding price scales to get more customers, which may or may not reduce food waste.
- The S-Market in Helsinki, Finland: The World Wastes Tons of Food. A Grocery ‘Happy Hour’ Is One Answer.
- Everytable: This Restaurant Chain Sets Prices on a Sliding Scale
- Sol Sips: How One Cafe Is Making Vegan Food More Accessible
- Soul Fire Farm: Soul Fire Farm Share CSA
Steps for Building a Sliding Price Scale: